Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
Hollywood
Mon Jan 23 2012, 11:42pm
Registered Member #708

have to ask where or how did you re barel those equips ? super interested.. also man this is a sick little project, cant wait to see it sideways.
o.g.darkdrifter
Tue Jan 24 2012, 01:31am
Registered Member #580

Do you do transmission/diff work for a living or did you just learn on your own? The way I drive I'm pretty sure I'll be rebuilding a lot of W58's or R154's if I ever plan on upgrading. Don't want to go broke paying for labor.
rwdanthony
Tue Jan 24 2012, 04:51am
Registered Member #1196

Parts Shop Max wrote ...

Cool!!

thanks!

Hollywood wrote ...

have to ask where or how did you re barel those equips ? super interested.. also man this is a sick little project, cant wait to see it sideways.

I re-barreled them myself. simple, disassemble, clean, re assemble, seal.
I cant wait to see it sideways myself. the one thing I lack is seat time. sigh.

o.g.darkdrifter wrote ...

Do you do transmission/diff work for a living or did you just learn on your own? The way I drive I'm pretty sure I'll be rebuilding a lot of W58's or R154's if I ever plan on upgrading. Don't want to go broke paying for labor.

haha not even, I'm just learned as I go. hitting up books and reading instructions like 5times just in case i missed something.

[ Edited Tue Jan 24 2012, 04:52am ]
o.g.darkdrifter
Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:49pm
Registered Member #580

You make it sound like it's easy. I'll probably pick up a cheap W58 spare just to practice on. I know I should probably step up to R154 but I'm cheap...
Hollywood
Tue Jan 24 2012, 06:01pm
Registered Member #708

dark trans work really isnt that hard once you understand how the whole thing works. im sure you will be able to figure it out. just grab a work manual with lots of photos.

anthony i understand how you did the process i was wondering where you got the new inner outter rim segments. i know there are companys that sell them just they dont want to sell parts they sell the service..

and about seat time im sure you will get a bunch just keep up the progress and you will soon be out with dan dave martin and nate at willow im sure.
rwdanthony
Wed Jan 25 2012, 12:43am
Registered Member #1196

You make it sound like it's easy. I'll probably pick up a cheap W58 spare just to practice on. I know I should probably step up to R154 but I'm cheap...

its not that hard, if you can work on an engine, you can work on the tranny. if you dont have the power range that exceeds the w58, theres no point really for the r154.

Hollywood wrote ...

dark trans work really isnt that hard once you understand how the whole thing works. im sure you will be able to figure it out. just grab a work manual with lots of photos.

anthony i understand how you did the process i was wondering where you got the new inner outter rim segments. i know there are companys that sell them just they dont want to sell parts they sell the service..

and about seat time im sure you will get a bunch just keep up the progress and you will soon be out with dan dave martin and nate at willow im sure.

oh my bad bro, I had a total of 6 equips before. bought a set, and bought another pair separate. took them all apart to make the sizing i preferred.

haha yeah, i still have a longgg way to go though.
o.g.darkdrifter
Wed Jan 25 2012, 01:13am
Registered Member #580

I have a 1j that's supposed to be running 18lbs on stock twins (AEM F/Ic took a shit), it's running stock boost but spikes to 12-13 right now. Have a friend with a completely stock 1j and he's gone through three R154's now. Extremely skeptical about my W58 lasting very long.
rwdanthony
Wed Jan 25 2012, 03:42am
Registered Member #1196

I have a 1j that's supposed to be running 18lbs on stock twins (AEM F/Ic took a shit), it's running stock boost but spikes to 12-13 right now. Have a friend with a completely stock 1j and he's gone through three R154's now. Extremely skeptical about my W58 lasting very long.

oh okay, i didnt know you were running something with power. rather than getting another w58 might as well get a legit r154, and hopefully it will last you.

The passed two days I've been on the market/researching for which oil i should put into my lsd.
Some say to use ford gear oil with LSD additive cause it worked the best for this lsd, but something about putting regular gear oil for the lsd bothered me. Though they say gear oil with lsd additive is all what lsd oil is... they also recommended to use conventional / petroleum oil rather than synthetic.

so between the ford mixture, sta-lube hypoid/limited slip gear oil at napa, and lucas gear oil, I went with lucas.

So far the diff is completely done. I dropped off my extra knuckles to be shortened, and toe rods at pbm, hopefully they can make me some toe rods...
I'm still waiting on my rear subframe and sway bars to be done at the powder coaters.
I also ordered energy suspension bushings for the rear end, and those should be coming in soon. im probably only going to be using a third of the kit since all my lower arms are going to be replaced with hiem joints.
Lastly I made some sway bar end links. My rear sway bars rubbed my axles, so I might have to make it longer than factory just to clear better, or do something else... I still have to make the fronts, which I believe I have room to make them shorter so the sway bars can be closer to parallel with the ground.

[ Edited Wed Jan 25 2012, 05:52am ]
rwdanthony
Sat Jan 28 2012, 03:14am
Registered Member #1196

Picked up the subframe and sway bars today, and when I got home my bushings have arrived! its coming together now.

Hollywood
Sat Jan 28 2012, 06:32pm
Registered Member #708

i love a good painted sub frame. as far as the diff oil to be honest the nismo units require standard gear oil (printed right on the box) then the kaaz units need special oil so i think it depends on the plates. my bmw stock diff i just stuffed more plates in to make it 2 way i use stupid heavy oil and thats it.... eitherway man looks like good pogress.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF