Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
Matty
Tue Oct 19 2010, 05:07pm
Registered Member #654

Whats up everyone! I've been browsing this forum and have been buying parts from psm for a while now. Awesome parts guys, and some insane cars in here!
Anyway, on with the goods. I bought an 89' coupe with a blown motor back in 07' that I planned on building into a track car.
I had no prior experience working on cars at all so things went really slow and eventually I put it on hold and got myself a good running hatch in April of 08' which I drove for literally 2 days before I got a set of coils and other aftermarket suspension parts for it..

I drove it like that for a while and did some street drifting, hit a curb, bla bla bla... Then about 6 months later, still having very little knowledge about cars I swapped an s14 sr in it...

.. which took forever since I really didn't know what I was doing, but I figured everything out myself and about 3 months later I finally had it back on the road and running strong. Then there was some more street drifting, auto x, and I hit a guard rail...

I had learned a lout about these cars very quickly and started to do everything I could to make it what I wanted, but my ideas exceeded my budget ... by a lot. So I did a lot of things myself. After pulling the motor a couple times, getting a few more upgrades and a wire tuck, I was becoming more satisfied with the car.

..then after beating on the motor pretty much every weekend for almost a year it started to give out on me. So I pulled it out and started building it up.

Now by this time I was really contemplating of what I wanted to do with the car. Keep it comfy and streetable, or gut it and make it a raw track machine? I had always prefered coupes over hatches, and mine was just sitting in the back buner for over 2 years now. I decided to do a chassis swap and put the hatch back to stock to sell. So at the end of April of this year (2010) I began the work.

I started with this..

It had more holes, rust, and scratches that I knew what to do with. I started out by getting the underbody of the car sandblasted and then layed a coat of primer on it so I could start with a clean slate and see exactly what needed to be done.
I had to cut out a lot of rust from the frame rails and the floor panels, so it needed a lot of new metal. Still being on a tight budget and knowing nothing about metal work, I bit the bullet and got myself a cheap little flux core welder and went to work.
After some practice I was really getting the hang of it, and I had the frame rails and floor panels patched up and reinforced in no time. I wish I had taken before and after pics so everyone could see just how bad it was. After that I swapped all of my suspension parts between the hatch and the coupe. Now that I could weld, all the ideas I had I could now apply to my car. So thats exactly what I did.
I'll explain with some pics.. Stay with me now! ;D

Nah, lets do something better!!

Still room for improvement.. I think so!

A lot of these nights..

..aaaannnndd this is where I am now. What the hatch now looks like (which is my dd until I move)..

..and the coupe..

The ignition harness I'm currently working on. Just need to wire the alternator and the grounds.

The relays are for the eccs, fuel pump, and ignition. The big breaker on the left in the first pic is for the alternator and the others are for the fuel pump, ignition and eccs, and the copper strip up top in the second pic is the main power block that the batter connects to which powers everything else.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to wire the alternator though, if someone could help me out? There are 2 wire that get used, one is the big white one coming from the post and the other is the smaller white one coming from the 2 pin plug. Both of these get power right? My idea was to have them both connected to the same power strip (on the back of the breaker panel) but do they have to be connected to 2 different sources? Like the bigger one coming directly from the battery and then the smaller one going to the ignition harness?? I is confused.
I'm moving to Florida in 9 days so I'm trying to get her cranked over before the move!!

Also, with the way I have my hotpipe running, I have no idea where/how to route my intake pipe at the turbo. Any ideas??? With the tubs it's tight on space.

... so anyway, thanks everyone for viewing! God bless if you actually read everything hahaha

-Matty

[ Edited Tue Oct 19 2010, 05:21pm ]
aled
Wed Oct 20 2010, 01:26am
Registered Member #674

I really like your style.
So effing rad.
Parts Shop Max
Wed Oct 20 2010, 04:08am

Registered Member #1

nice!!
I love it!! Thank you
Coupe13
Sat Oct 30 2010, 03:31pm
Registered Member #696

Super nice !!! What wheels are those and the specs ???
helladeathwish
Mon Nov 01 2010, 05:45pm
Registered Member #867

props
Dan at MAX USA
Tue Nov 02 2010, 06:54pm

Registered Member #2

thats a funny picture of all the car parts in the tree, now thats a backyard tuning spl if ive ever seen one, awesome.

The welds were not looking so great but after paint wow that engine bay looks so clean, its incredible.

Tell me more about the metal with the rolled edge used on the front wheel tubs.
Matty
Thu Nov 11 2010, 07:06pm
Registered Member #654

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it

For the tubs I actually just bought a fender for a trailer and cut it in half.
Illmatic
Sun Nov 14 2010, 07:05pm
Registered Member #619

Car looks nice man. The wheel style and color looks good with the car and color. Love it!
Matty
Fri Dec 03 2010, 05:00am
Registered Member #654

So I'm in florida now. Apparently there are a bunch of tracks where people do some skid racing around here so I'm trying to finish up.

How do you guys go about pulling your front fenders? I've been trying to use the roller but it just flexes around and won't keep the shape after I make a pass with the roller.
And if I'm using stock spindles and s14 control arms with no bump stops should I be worrying about over centering the rack?
Dan at MAX USA
Fri Dec 03 2010, 07:13pm

Registered Member #2

gucci mane!

we heat the fender, and when we roll its pretty flexy. at some point you need a hammer and dolly.

you can overcenter with tie rod spacers only and everything else stock. solution is the super angle kit.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF